Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A relationship strained with my sister

My sister and I do not have a perfect relationship. However, we do get along when there are more than 1000 miles separating us. When I went to college, our relationship got better. Summers were still difficult but it got better. Then, she went to college and I eventually graduated. Still, we had hundreds of miles in between us and we were okay. We are both type-A and pretty independent people. We have our faults, of course, but we have good relationships outside of the family. 

Then, we were home for an extended summer and things got very unsettling. I, along with our family, walk on egg shells around her some of the time. 

I don't claim to be perfect but she also goes for the jugular each, and every, time. Tonight was no different. I don't have as thick of skin and I let her get to me. She got to me and I spent the next three hours out of the house. 

Right now, our relationship is at an all time low. I try, really hard, to not let her get to me but she truly gets under my skin and plucks every nerve. However, she does this every day. She can be all cheery to other people and then I get the brunt of it. I don't do well when voices are raised and I am verbally attacked with curse words. I just don't.

She goes off to law school in less than 3 weeks and I am hoping our relationship gets better. I hope that we can grow it back to a civilized relationship. I hope she will see that words and actions hurt. I hope I can grow thicker skin. 

I hope our strained relationship becomes a relationship in progress. 

No comments: