Monday, July 29, 2013

Kale goodness

I may be the last person on the planet to try kale but it is one of the best things I have tasted in a long time.

Kale has many nutrients that make it nutritious to eat. For each cup, kale has 2.47g of protein and vitamins such as B, C, A, and K. Calcium, magnesium, and Omega-3s make it a good source too.

I cooked kale with bell peppers and tomatoes, after I shredded it, in a salted pot of water for five minutes. Raw, it is rather bitter. Cooked, it is tender and delicious. 


Two nights ago, I had kale salad and added mozzarella balls, olive oil, and basil. It was lite but delicious. For the record, I use the smaller stalk of kale. My local grocer had one that was a little less than a foot and one over two feet. I chose the smaller one.

I am still learning all the ways to cook with kale but I am looking forward to baking kale chips. I have seen kale added to soups as well and look forward to the fall and adding it to soups. Kale, so I've read, can be pretty versatile and easy to add to many recipes. Kale will also be an addition to my omelets in the mornings as well.

No comments: