Sunday, March 11, 2012

Stream of Consciousness: not to my prime

Brain dump time-set the clock for five minutes, no editing, and go!

Optional writing prompt today: Have you reached the prime of your life? What do you want to be your legacy?

I hope, okay dream, that my prime is not right now. I am a recent college graduate, last May, and am just getting my feet wet in this society and in the working world. My HOPE is to have a full time teaching job, whether in regular or special education, next school year. I also hope to have the opportunity to help more students with special needs before that supposed "prime" is up.

I want to be remembered as someone who took more than five minutes to help students with special needs. I want to change how "old-school" educators think of students with special needs. Whether it be Dyslexia to Autism, I want students to embrace what they have and be successful post-education. I want to equip students with skills they need to be successful. I want to help them see themselves as a student with something with potential. We all learn differently, so what?!?! Who cares?!?!

It's about what you give and not hide behind a diagnosis. I will openly say I have Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Sensory Processing Disorder, and more. However, that's not written on my forehead. Does it mean I learn differently? Yes! However, it doesn't mean I hide behind that in the real world. I want to give my students ways to deal with their diagnosis and then succeed in the world. That is my hope in my prime (whenever it gets here).

#SOCsunday
(To view more SOC Sunday posts, click on the button above)

No comments: