Sunday, March 25, 2012

Stream of Consciousness: Food allergies & formulation changes

I have had it with companies and changing formulations on products. It drives me bonkers. Why am I getting so upset? Living with food allergies means label reading, calling companies, and finding something that is safe for me to eat. Now there are nice treats out there that cater to the allergy community and I am very grateful. However, it requires several phone calls and emails to check on that.

When you live with multiple, life threatening food allergies (soy (all 3 forms), wheat/gluten, tree nuts, peanuts, fish, shellfish, modified food starch), it is hard to find a company that suits your needs and is allergy aware. Case in point...read a food label. Find out what's in your food! You see that milk and soy may be present? For me, that soy could induce anaphylaxis. I am serious! Soy is one of my hardest allergens as it is in so much these days.

I am not trying to get anyone all riled up however I am tired of companies saying they are 100% of something and then have soy lecithin in a "100% whey protein" powder. Do you know how hard it has been to find a company that is allergy aware, free of my allergens, including soy lecithin (which some soy allergics can tolerate), and tastes good? It's hard! I recently lost my safe protein powder and now I am trying to stock up on the left safe versions out there before every store has the new formulation that contains soy lecithin.

Okay...off my soap box for the day! Thanks for listening!

Five minutes-that is the mission. No editing; just a raw post in the works. Hosted by All things Fadra. Great and FREE therapy in the making. ;)
#SOCsunday

No comments: