Monday, September 5, 2011

There's a difference between ignorance and curiosity

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to you all.
Yesterday, I wrote about food allergies and how they impact my life on a daily basis. I listed some sayings that I'd rather not hear again. Some of you, okay most of you, said that you were guilty of saying some of the sayings.

Please understand that there is a HUGE difference between truly being curious about someone's life and their allergies & being an ignorant, closed-minded person who could care less what I eat and just is present to judge. Ignorance actually means lack of understanding or information {source} while curiosity means the desire to learn something new {source]. I am more than happy for people to ask questions and understand what/how I live with food allergies.

Truth be told, I enjoy talking to people about what I eat and my story with food allergies. My only two rules are that I will not feel put down with food allergies nor will I feel ashamed for how I handle my food allergies.

Food allergies are just a part of me and I've learned to accept that. Was I angry or frustrated at first? YES! Do I still get frustrated when ingredients change? Sometimes! Am I ashamed of food allergies? Absolutely not. In a perfect world, there would be no food allergies yet we are not perfect nor do we live in a perfect world.

The next time you encounter someone has food allergies; be that curious person and go into the conversation with an open mind.

No comments: