Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Dear family-can't we all just get along?

I am prefacing this with the fact that my family, 85% of the time is loving and sweet, but sometimes they can be downright mean and cruel.

Last night, my mom and sister got into a knock-down, drag out, HEATED argument for 8 long minutes. Me? I sat there for a bit, tried to walk away and go somewhere else, and ended up crying. You see, I can handle a good argument but screaming at the top of your lungs and going at each other's throats (metaphorically) is not healthy.

My sister goes for the jugular fast and did not/would not back down last night. Granted, mom was moody and her tone was not fantastic but my sister chose the WRONG time to get into an argument. She yelled and mom yelled. It was not pretty. Finally, dad walked in and toned it down.

Me? I cried and then thought of my Nonni and how I would have called her to vent about what just occurred. I cried some more then. It's really overwhelming for me to be around loud noises and yelling just puts me over the edge.

I understand yelling is sometimes necessary but come on? When these two fight, gets really ugly and fast. Arguments can be healthy and can sometimes solve different things but this one was not healthy. Talking shots (metaphorically) at each other and dragging out all your issues for one measly fight is not okay. In the end, both were wrong.

Can't we all just get along?

No comments: