Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Challenges of LIFE

So last night, I think I got a maximum of four hours of sleep. Today was filled with struggle after struggle and I made a very important decision that will impact my schedule for the rest of this semester. Today I quit working at a church that has been dear to my heart since I was a Freshman on day one. The reason I quit is simple. I do not have the time this semester as I am:
** Taking 19 credit hours
** Babysitting on T/Th mornings from 8:30-noonish
** The Managing Editor of the school newspaper
** An officer in Alpha Phi Omega (service fraternity)
** A tutor for a boy on campus (Bible, Govt, history)
** Needing some time...what is that? To myself!
** Yes it is a busy schedule but I need to stay busy**

This was a very difficult decision that I did not want to make but had to. For the sake of my school life and my sanity, this had to be done. I am upset but will hang in there. One of my professor's sparked this topic today as he stated to "dive into your courses." So I decided today to quit. This gives me some more time to do what I need to do and be happy about it. Please continue to pray for me to find a balance in my schedule and for me to do what God desires for me. Thanks in advanced.

9 comments:

Nicole O'Dell said...

I'm sure it was a good decision. School is the most important thing right now...well...in your schedule, I mean. I'm sure it's difficult, though.

What are you going to school for? I'm sure you've said it before, but I don't remember.

Julie said...

Wow...you are busy! Sounds like you made the right decision. I will be praying for you!

Hollie said...

Bless your heart! You are ONE BUSY LADY! Seriously, 19 hours? That alone would be too much for me...so pat yourself on the back! You are doing great!

The sleeping part - UGH! I am right there with you...the worst feeling ever! Praying for a peaceful mind and LOTS of Z's tonight!

Beth E. said...

Shew...take a BREATH, girl! I don't see how you are able to do all of that along with 19 credit hours!!! Wow, I'm totally impressed...AND exhausted from reading your post. :o)

tbonegrl said...

How do you do it all?

Sounds like a good decision!

The Thompson's said...

Elyse, what up?

Hey good luck with all that first of all and I know you can do it.

Also, I won a blog makeover from Hollie!!!!! Yeah! I knew she did yours.

Tim

Jill (Sneaky Momma) said...

Wow! You are one busy, busy bee!
I hope that the changes you made today give you the extra time that you need. :)

Elaine said...

Praying for your balance, and that you feel better soon. Stomach virus's stink too.

The Blankenship Family said...

Hello there friend. Well - I'm feeling better and we went to White's Chapel this morning to see Steve's sister's little baby boy get baptized. And - what do you know, Pastor John McKeller preached on the "art of saying NO!" Then - when I read your blog while getting caught up on my life tonight, I thought of you and how this sermon was perfect for this post.

There are "seasons" in each of our lives where we have to say "No" to something very worthwhile/fulfilling/valuable so we can be true to our authentic self and what God's calling is for us. At this point, saying "No" to the church job you LOVE for now, helps you remain focused and putting your energy into God's call on your life and your future.
If you don't use courage and wisdom to make these "saying NO" decisions, you often end up often not keeping all the committments you have made - or at least fulfilling them in the way you should.

Hope that helps - - - and I'm glad you're feeling better as well. Have a GREAT week!