Thursday, August 15, 2013

What not to say to a food allergic individual & catchy replies

If you deal with food allergies, you've probably dealt with some questions that just make you shake your head or laugh in someone's face. I've been there so I thought I'd share some questions I am asked on a weekly basis and some responses.

My favorite question after I list my allergies: "What do you eat?" My response: Food!

"I don't know how I would live without x." My response: I like living and breathing. That's kind of important. 

"I would die without peanut butter. I eat it everyday." My response: I would go into anaphylaxis and and could die if I ingest it. 

"No soy or fish? What is wrong with you?" My response: I am allergic. That means my body sees this as an invader and I react. I didn't choose food allergies. They actually just started occurring. 

"What's so wrong with you?" My response (so not so nice): Nothing is wrong with me. I just have life threatening food allergies. 

"How do you do it?" My response: I just do. 

"Are you sure you're allergic to all that? I know how you could get rid of those. My response: there is currently no sure for food allergies. I am not interested in trying anything experimental or "natural." Thanks though!

Granted, there are still days I get upset/angry but, after several years, it has gotten easier to respond.

2 comments:

Alicia {Murry Mayhem} said...

Awww sweetie, I'm sure it is hard dealing with all those questions! I'm sure I'd be guilty of asking some of them, just because it's so foreign to me. I enjoy seeing you post what you eat, because it helps me learn. So many of us don't know anything about food allergies and I think it's great that you advocate and help us learn :)

Elyse said...

No worries! 95% of the time, it's all good and I am a-okay with questions. Usually, what sets me off is negativity and tones. I'm an open book. Happy to answer questions!