Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Living with food allergies, it gets easier

For the past six years, I have lived with food allergies. I will admit, it was VERY hard at first. Going from eating whatever I wanted to taking out soy, wheat, tree nuts, peanuts, fish, and shellfish wasn't a walk in the park. However, I have gotten rid of the shock and devastation. I've also gotten rid of the constant hives, rashes, and other symptoms. I've learned how to cook without wheat/gluten/ect and love it. I've learned to experiment and accept who I am with food allergies. That first year was really rough but I survived. ;)

 Lately, I've found support through the internet. On twitter, I follow #foodallergy and post any questions/thoughts about what's going on. It gives you a common ground and it's helpful. On facebook, I follow multiple companies and support them. I am also in a few groups. I've also found help and guidance plus support with Kids with Food Allergies. Seriously, folks, if you're looking for an online support group, I HIGHLY recommend KFA.

 This week, it's Food Allergy Awareness Week (FAAW) and it's just cool to look back and see how far I've come along with the communication outputs and support systems. It's nice to have the constant support all around.

 Bottom line: Living with food allergies can be scary and difficult,, don't get me wrong, but it does get easier. Even though I don't wish any allergies on anyone, I've found that there is a major support system for people and kids with food allergies. It's a learning curve indeed.

No comments: