Monday, August 29, 2011

Women of Faith: Over the Top = phenomenal

This past weekend, I was blessed with the opportunity to attend Women of Faith: Over the Top in Dallas, Texas. This was my first year at WOF and I was blown away. I was hesitant, at first, as there would be a lot of people and I was concerned with the noise/music factor too. But, I can honestly say, it was the best two days in a long time.



There was a group of 67 of us and next year is already in the works.



August has not treated me well and I was down. The music and speakers tended to talk to my heart and I felt a huge connection to a few of the speakers and musicians. If you ever have a chance to attend, I would take it in a heartbeat. It truly made me reflect on the past and my life.



Some of the speakers and musicians included: Patsy Clairmont, who’s a hoot, Marilyn Meburg, Lisa Whelchel, who I connected with, Sandi Patty, Brenda Warner, who spoke to my life in ruins, Mandisa, who has an excellent voice, Amy Grant, Andy Andrews, who’s hilarious, Katherine Everett, and Mary Graham, who is Billy Graham’s daughter.



The conference was mixed with laughter and tears. These women and men were REAL. Not just a show or a scripted mix of words. Real connections were made.



Lisa Whelchel, from the facts of life, made me think about adult friendships and how the lack of youth friendships, makes it hard to connect with adults today. In my life, I didn’t go out or have boyfriends. Today, I tend to unload on anyone I meet. I tend to hang out with adults older than me or children younger than me. It’s my safe zone and people my age, especially, take advantage of my heart and crumble it.



Brenda Warner, what a story. She’s the wife of Burt Warner, who is a professional football player, and wife/mom of 7. A former marine turned nurse, she’s an inspiration. She said something this weekend that totally blew my mind. “Circumstances don’t make the person.” Isn’t that the truth?! I can’t wait to read her book.



Patsy Clairmont is just a ball full of energy and a huge light. She talked about change and how it’s hard. My favorite quote from her is “I don’t like change unless I’m in charge of it.” TOTALLY hit my heart. This is exactly my thinking too. She made me laugh a lot.



Mandisa has a voice of talent and was a true inspiration throughout the weekend. I got two of her CDs this weekend, Freedom and If we were Real, and have already fallen in love with her songs.






Women of Faith



Will I go next year? OF COURSE!!




No comments: