Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Change: the dreaded six letter word

Change is that dreaded six letter word that can rock my boat or make me go weak at the knees.



Change, for me, has always been hard. I don’t like to rock the boat—I thrive on structure and routine. I’ve had a changing summer with graduation, job market woes, certification tests, and personal/family issues. Change has been all around me and it has included multiple uneasy feelings and thoughts.



Not being hired as a teacher this fall, full time, was the final straw. Granted, I was hired on as a substitute but that’s not full time nor is it why I went to school for four years, took 19 hours for four semesters, and did my very best to graduate Magna Cum Laude. I am not tooting my own horn; I am just stating the facts. It is so strange, to me, that you can dream and nearly see your goal, and then have it ripped out from under you.



The job market, in Texas, is not great right now. Between budget cuts and red tape, teachers have lost their jobs.



I’ve accepted the fact that change happens all the time and now will let it happen around me. I do not have control all the time and that is incredibly hard for me. Patsy Clairmont states “I don’t like change unless I’m in charge.” This is so true. Change is hard to accept but I intend to *try* to go with the changing flow and know I will not be in charge all the time.



How do you handle change?







No comments: