Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Wordful Wednesday



I don't know if some of you know this, but I am a Special Ed major in school right now. I have a PASSION for SPED kiddos and they are the light of my world...seriously! So it angers/hurts me when the word "retard" is thrown around. No one deserves the right to be called this word. In my life/world, I can not stand when teenagers use it casually or call each other "retard." It is considered a HATE WORD in my book. In the world we live in today, there are some people who are medically considered "retarded," but that is the medical standpoint. If you are around kids and they use this word, please urge them not to. Ask them how they would feel to be called a "retard?" I bet they won't like it at all!


To see more WWs, click on the button

Enjoy your afternoon

13 comments:

Courtney Kay said...

amen!

amanda said...

the one year i went to college i was a sped major too!! i love the post!! ;0) i mailed out something for you today. hopefully i found the right candy for you!!

Beth E. said...

I totally agree!

♥ bfs~"Mimi" ♥ said...

Good thoughts!

Rachel said...

I agree - I really believe that caring and sensitive kids are grown at HOME. So it's a great message for parents to have that talk with their kid about what to do when they hear someone else using it. It is such a hurtful word!
Thanks for the post!

Keri said...

Being a mother of a special needs child, I couldn't agree more! I don't even like it as a medical diagnosis. It's a harsh word to be throwing around. Too bad it can't be erased from the dictionary.

BoufMom9 said...

Amen, amen, amen

Nicole O'Dell said...

WTG! Awesome post!

Liz (Loving Mom 2 Boys) said...

Well said, I completely agree!!

Suzanne said...

I would be disgusted if anyone still uses that word! I have an autistic nephew and he is wonderful! Even though, he can barely communicate, I love being with him, he's there and he can give and receive love and that's huge!

Kelsey said...

I couldn't agree more! I have a brother with severe Cerebral Palsy, so this is especially close to my heart. I've actually written about something along these lines before. It's just really unfortunate that words like this and other jokes are now used so lightly.

Lorie said...

I joined that cause on FB. I would love to go to that big convention they are having in supporting stopping using the word RETARD.
BTW....Drew is fine. She's been having some problems with her digestion for quite a while now....urgency and frequency of needing to use the bathroom, so we are in the process of trying to figure out what causes this. Thanks for your concern and prayers.

McCrakensx4 said...

Totally agree with you! Amen sista!